Tell us about yourself, and about Doris's Flight.
I am an Argentinian new writer, director and producer, with an international business background (MBA). After having worked for more than 15 years in the corporate world, I resolved to drastically change my career and explore my creativity. With Doris’s flight, my first film, I chose to put the audience directly into the main character’s disturbed mind to experience a sensation of unease.
Share a memorable moment you experienced working on this project.
The fact that this was my first time directing made the full experience memorable. However, there was a moment on set where I consciously avoided giving the actors too many directions. Instead, I created a space of trust so that they could find the characters themselves and freely tell us the story. Magically, I was no longer “shooting” a film. No camera, no cast and crew. The story was happening in real time, right in front of my eyes, exactly as I felt it while I was writing it.
Name 3 collaborators that you'd take with you to any other project.
We had a great crew. If I had to choose three, it would be:
- Himalay Kilaru, co-producer: he was a fundamental throughout the whole project.
- Pamela Cramer, main actress: she was extremely patient, flexible to changes and easy to work with. Her talent is outstanding.
- Peter Linnane, sound: Peter is so professional and zen! And that is exactly what you need the first time directing.
3 tips you’d like to share with aspiring artists in your field:
- Have a crew you feel comfortable to work with and be open to allow creativity from everyone participating in the film.
- Plan ahead the shoot as meticulously as you can so that you can be better prepared for challenges, but most importantly this will allow you to enjoy the process.
- Be free! I believe there is no “right" or “wrong" in art. Dare to be loyal to your idea and style. By replicating what is already out there you won’t add something special from within you.
What do you hope to achieve in your career in the next 5 years?
II have been partnering with producers in Boston and Kansas City and I am in the process of setting up my own production company.Also, I am currently writing and producing a documentary, a feature film, and 3 shorts to be finished during this frame time.
Doris's Flight is nominated for Best First Time Director of the Year at the New York Film Awards.